- Wakamiya jinja
- Built in 1135 in the grounds of the Kasuga shrine, it came under the authority of the Kofukuji Buddhist temple and was organised by inhabitants of Yamato province. It opened up the cult of Kasuga daimyojin to the wider community beyond the elite circle of the Fujiwara and imperial households whose rites focused on the Kasuga shrine and Kofukuji. The kami of Wakamiya was identified with two bosatsu; Kannon and Monju. Its priests were drawn from the Chidori household, a sub-branch of the Nakatomi. An archaic temporary shrine (kari no miya) is built each year into which the kami is ritually transferred in darkness by a great procession of priests during the night of December 17 for the annual On-matsuri. This matsuri was instituted in 1136 and rapidly grew into a lavishly endowed pageant comprising a procession through Nara of local worthies, lay devotees, monks and shrine officials with special food offerings, kagura and other entertainment for the kami including dengaku field songs and dances.
A Popular Dictionary of Shinto. Brian Bocking.